Saturday, February 20, 2010

A bit anxious

It seems as though I wasn't paying much attention when it was explained to me that human gestation is supposed to be roughly 9 months... not 6. I guess this little girl is a little anxious to greet the world, but don't worry because we have things under control and we got her calmed down enough to hopefully stay put for another 8 weeks or so (fingers crossed).
I was having some lower abdominal pain on Friday and as the day progressed, so did the pain. At about 4:00pm I was on the phone with Justin and told him how I'd been feeling and he suggested I call my doctor since it was still office hours, rather than having no other option than to head to the ER if it got too bad. I thought my doctor would tell me to take it easy and if the pain and cramping turned into something else, go to the hospital. She didn't. She told me to head straight for the hospital to be monitored. She didn't want to take any chances. So I packed an overnight bag just in case (I've learned to be prepared from our experience with Grace), woke Grace from her nap and headed to the hospital. Justin was meeting us there since he was on his way hog hunting with a friend from work.
I ended up staying in Labor and Delivery for about 6 hours (thankfully not overnight) hooked up to fetal monitors. The first few hours were good. I had only had 2 contractions. Then they started coming a lot more frequently - about every 4 minutes - although they really weren't painful, just uncomfortable. The on-call doctor decided to give me a couple of oral medications to relax and calm things down and after about an hour I wasn't contracting anymore... YAY! Since I wasn't dilated or effaced at all they sent me home for the weekend with orders to take it easy, call my doctor on Monday, and the most awful thing you can think of - NO CAFFEINE OR CARBONATED DRINKS. I don't know if I'll make it 2-3 months without a Pepsi. I guess I can do it if it helps this little baby go full term.
So today has been a good day. No contractions, although I'm being extremely cautious with my activities. I'm scared to do anything that might disturb my uterus and make it mad enough to go into labor. We're keeping our fingers crossed and our faith in our Heavenly Father that we have a healthy baby... in a couple of months!

8 comments:

Dallas and Shelby Scoffield said...

Oh my gosh! No Pepsi :). Why don't they just give you a torture sentence?

I hope that sweet little girl stays put. It's also a great excuse to do very little around the house and work that Justin's fingers to the bone :)

Brooks, Amber & Maggie Jo said...

and to think you have been having those terrible shots in your rump all this time. Are they not working?

Good luck with everything, you can ship Grace to my house for a couple of days we will take her.

v said...

Amy, seriously, why didn't you call me to keep Grace while you went to the hospital!! I mean how can I be a surrogate granny if I don't know about these things??? All kidding aside, I'm here if you need me, for whatever the need might be.

Dave and Krisha said...

I feel your pain!! the nursing staff in L& D knew us really well by the time Chloe finally got here! Although, they didn't deliver a torture sentence like no soda or caffeine!!3 months without Diet Dr. Pepper may have been the straw that broke this camel's back!! Good luck! We will pray that little munchkin stays put for a few more weeks!

Ashley Bankhead said...

I'm glad everything is okay. What a scare.

Brooke Colvin said...

I'm glad you are doing okay Amy and that your contractions stopped! I'm sure that was scary for you. I will keep my fingers crossed that your little one decides to have a little more patience and wait for a while to meet the world. Whenever I get impatient at the end of my pregnancies (sort of the opposite for you), Brandon always says that the baby isn't done "cooking" yet. Not the most pleasant term, but it gets the point across :) Good luck with the rest of the "cooking"!

Unknown said...

Well, you looked great at church yeasterday!!! I am glad to hear that you are doing better. I would be happy to help you with Grace or your class if you need it!!! Don't over do it!

The Birds said...

Crazy!! So glad that things got settled down and yes, we'll be praying for that little munchkin to stay put for at least another 8 weeks!! And I'll be praying for you not being able to have a "drink" for the next few months....that would be torture for me too!!!!! Good Luck!