Saturday, October 25, 2008

MinExpo 2008

It seems like every time I try to post something I get interrupted, so today this is the #1 thing on my "to do" list. Back in September Justin had the opportunity to help with his company's participation in the MinExpo at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Out of thousands of employees he was one of only a handful that was able to be involved in the entire thing. So, 5 days after I got back from this trip with the girls the three of us piled in the truck and headed west. It was a long drive, but Grace was such a trooper. The first day she did awesome and slept a lot. The second day we decided to prop up the DVD player and let her watch some Baby Einstein videos. It worked like a charm and we had a very happy traveler. We stopped at Hoover Dam as we got into Nevada and did a little sight seeing. Justin had to go to work that night setting up Bucyrus' "booth" at the expo so Grace and I explored the hotel while he got some rest before his all nighter began. Justin worked hard all week, which left Grace and I to hang out by ourselves. We did a lot of lounging by the pool, shopping, and checking out all the free attractions on the Strip. My parents flew out from Oregon for the weekend to go to the Las Vegas Temple. My mother-in-law came down from Utah to spend the day at the Temple with us and my brother-in-law, Brandon, drove up from Mesa to be our babysitter. The next week we were able to spend some time at the Expo checking out all the enormous mining equipment. You wouldn't believe how massive that stuff is. Grace was such a good baby the entire trip, but she had a difficult time sleeping at night. She would wake up every few hours and would only go back to sleep if she had a bottle. The first night we were back home she fell right to sleep in her own crib without making a peep. I guess she just wanted her own bed. It was a fun trip, but we were totally ready to be home again.
we let Grace play in the pool after our first day of driving and she loved it
a couple of photo opps at the Hoover Dam

checking out the local attractions :)


lounging by the pool

With my parents at the Sirens of TI show at Treasure Island. If you haven't seen, don't be too disappointed. It's definitely a PG-13 kind of show... not for the little ones.


Justin's mom with Donny and Marie


We couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a picture of Cindy in front of Harrah's with the entertainment in the background. She had no idea they were there.


The whole gang at the Temple


Grace with her uncles (AKA: babysitters). Thanks guys!


Grace being Elvis


The lady in the background was mad at us because this souvenier shop apparently has a "no cameras" policy. Oops.

Cindy at the Expo in front of one of the HUGE dump trucks that haul the coal around the mine

This is me standing next to the wheel of one of those dump trucks

The second day of the Expo Justin was able to be out at the NASCAR track with a bunch of Bucyrus customers for the Richard Petty Driving Experience. Only the customers were able to drive, but Justin got to do a ride-a-long.


Part of Bucyrus' "booth"

One of the security guards they hired... yeah, I'm pretty sure she's just a stripper
We have a ton more pictures from this trip, but quite frankly I'm a little tired of this post. Koodos to those of you who stuck it out all the way to the end.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I love that picture with Justin's mom...hahaha!

I showed AJ the last one with the "security guard". I said, look what you're missing, you could be there if you worked for a cool company like that. He liked that one :)

Lehis said...

umm... yeah... that Vegas show was interesting. Not quite the pirate duel with cool costumes and affects I remember from 8-years ago. Times have certainly changed. I guess they are going more for the trashy, bad acting, HORRIBLE dancing, women who sound like men, poor storyline, lets "slut" things up, kind of thing. We were pretty disappointed.

Dallas and Shelby Scoffield said...

I bet the temple was the coolest day. I'm so happy for you Amy, I know you've waited a long time for that! You're such an amazing lady- I love you tons!

How did you pry Justin away from the security guard. Pretty sure Shelby would have found an excuse to get arrested :)

By the way- you seriously look like shrimp by those big tires!