Monday, May 18, 2009

Just call my Suzy

Homemaker, that is!
Last month while I was visiting my parents my mom and I made these cute little tote bags. The one on the left is mine, and the one on the right is Grace's. They were super easy to make and are the perfect size to fit a regular set of scriptures (and them some). My mom's ward made them for an enrichment activity a while back. They're made from place mats! What a great idea someone had! Grace doesn't use hers for scriptures just yet, but she loves to put it on her arm and walk all around the house with it.


I've been wanting to get a bow hanger for sometime to store all of Grace's cute hair bows, but I didn't want to dish out the dough for one, so I found instructions online to make my own. I got lucky while at Hobby Lobby when I saw art canvas' in a 2-pack for super duper cheap, and I was able to use my handy 40% off coupon to get an even better deal on them. I covered the canvas with fabric and then added the ribbon to attach the bows. I think it turned out pretty darn cute. It's hanging in Grace's bedroom.

And since the art canvas' came in a 2-pack I decided to make one for my friend Karen who has 2 little girls. Their bedroom is all red and white gingham and lady bugs so this is what I came up with. I absolutely love it! You can't really tell in the picture but there are ladybug buttons where all the ribbons cross.
I love making things. There's such a feeling of accomplishment and pride in knowing that you created something, even if it is as trivial as a bow hanger. Next Suzy homemaker project: throw pillows for our couch!

4 comments:

Brooke Colvin said...

Wow Amy! You are so talented! What a great idea to make those bags for Enrichment. I love the bow/ribbon holder too. How do you get them to stay on it? So cute!

Hilary said...

You rock. Make me a shower curtain okay? That's next on my list.

Justin, Amy, and Grace said...

Brooke, you attach the clips on the backs of the bows to the ribbon on the board. You don't sew/glue the ribbon all the way down.

I think a shower curtain may be beyond my Suzy capacities.

Dallas and Shelby Scoffield said...

Love the bow hangers- cute cute! And can I have the pattern for the bags? I think our Enrichment needs to do them too!

How about you make me some throw pillows for my couch- just because you love me and you know that my sewing abilities are pretty nill. Huh? What do you say?