Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Thanksgiving Prayer

I'm thankful for a lot of things.  My family and I are blessed in so many ways.  Tonight I am especially thankful for this little girl and the sweet prayers that she offers at bedtime when we kneel together as a family.


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year.  It was pretty relaxed and low-key, which was fine with me.  We slept in, had cold cereal for breakfast (per Grace's request!), then enjoyed a yummy Thanksgiving meal with the Dodd/Austin family.  The girls and I came home for naps and movies while Justin drove to College Station to watch the Texas A&M game.  His friend, who we went to the World Series with, was able to get tickets for the (possibly last) game against UT.

At bedtime tonight, Grace declared that it was her turn to say the prayer.  Fine with me!  She's been stubborn and refusing lately when it's been her turn.  I just had to document the words of her prayer because it was hilarious.

Grace: "Dear Heavenly Father, we thank thee for this wonderful day and the good food.  Thank thee for mommy being nice.  Please bless us to be good.  Please bless Grandma Erlenbusch because her back hurts really bad.  Please bless daddy to be safe and he's gone a long time.  Please bless Kenzie because she's my friend and she can come to my house to play.  Please bless Dolphin to be good and play nice with Cinderella.  Please bless Kenzie's daddy to be the king of the monkeys.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. Oh, and please bless me and mommy and Claire to sleep good."

WHAT???  I have no idea where she got the 'king of the monkeys' idea or why she wants Kenzie's daddy to take the throne. 

Also, she has an imaginary pet dolphin named Polkadots who goes with us everywhere.  She buckles Polkadots in the car seat between she and Claire every time we get in the car.  It's pretty funny to listen to her 'play' with Polkadots.  I love her vast imagination and that she's not afraid/embarrassed to show it to us.  Also, Cinderella is her friend and usually plays at our house, but lately she's been spending a lot of time at Kenzie's house.

4 comments:

v said...

I literally laughed out loud when I read Grace's prayer. King of the monkeys, huh? Does she know something we don't ?? Glad to know about Polkadots, I'll make sure and not sit on him. Lauren had an imaginary friend at Grace's age, his name was J.J., he went EVERYWHERE with us. Thanks for sharing!

Ray King said...

I too laughed out loud! What a sweet little girl! Every time I see pictures I can't believe how fast they are growing up! Thanks for sharing the prayer what a fun thing to look back and remember :) Love you and Miss you!

Ray King said...

Ummm that was from me... Janet.. I didn't know Ray was signed in sorry ha ha

R. Patton said...

You certainly are raising some darling girls! I love sweet (and rather random) prayers of little ones. I miss those. Wish we saw you all other than in passing! I miss my 2nd ward ladies!!