Saturday, January 10, 2009

In need of some advise... Desperately

It seems as though ever since Grace turned 1 she has learned how to throw tantrums. Now I understand that toddlers throw tantrums, but Grace does them at 3:30 in the morning. It has come completely out of the blue. She wakes up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder and won't stop until she is picked up. Then, if I even so much as think about sitting down in the glider to rock her she starts up again. The only way to get her to calm down and go back to sleep is to give her a bottle of water. I hate doing this because I feel like I'm "feeding" the habit (figuratively AND literally). She used to be the best sleeper. She would go to bed for the night without so much as a peep and sleep for 11-12 hours. I'm totally beside myself over this. I don't know what triggered it or how to deal with it, let alone fix it. I've read that some babies will reverse their sleeping habits at about 18 months, but I was not at all prepared for this. Have any of you been through this? What worked for you? What didn't work (maybe it will for me)? Even if you haven't experienced this or you don't have kids, but you have some advise please leave a comment. Like I said in the title, I'm desperate.

2 comments:

Dallas and Shelby Scoffield said...

I have zero advice. Except for maybe she is having nightmares? Maybe just try not picking her up and just rub her tummy for a second and then let her cry it out? Yep- that's my great advice :)

Brooke Colvin said...

I wish I had some great advice for you too, Amy, but my 7-month-old baby is waking up 3 times a night now and won't eat any solid foods yet. Just when I thought I had the baby thing down, she threw everything off for me. I would try Dallas' suggestion of going in there, putting a blanket on her or something, and then leaving and letting her cry it out. But hey, if a bottle of water helps, and you are able to get some sleep, I say go for it.

It's so hard to know why babies (or toddlers) go through these weird phases of tantrums and not sleeping, but the important thing to remember is that it is a "phase". She will grow out of this eventually and you will feel like a normal mom again. I have been telling that to myself lately every night too - this too shall pass. Good luck to you!